What makes New Zealand so popular to visit by way of rail or road trip? Perhaps it’s the fact that while riding along in a train on a railway or on the road in your own vehicle you can view the spectacular scenery. Or maybe it’s the fact that you’ll see more of the countryside because you’ll be constantly moving from place to place. Visiting this destination and touring it in this fashion is certainly something you’ll never forget.
When touring by rail, you have several options for where you’ll visit. Just three of the options available to you include:
- Northern Explorer: This is the longest running passenger service between Auckland and Wellington. You’ll enjoy views of fertile farmland, volcanic peaks, and the sparkling waters of the Kapiti coast.
- TranzAlpine: This route is considered one of the world’s most scenic rail journeys, and will take you 139 miles through 16 tunnels and viaducts from Christchurch to Greymouth and back.
- Coastal Pacific: This rail journey will take you up the Kaikoura Coastline, which are famous for views of the marine mammals, and whale watching. Bring your camera and a zoom lens for awesome shots of dolphins, seals and penguins.
One reason many folks prefer to tour New Zealand by car instead of by rail, is they like being able to stop and go as they please. You can choose to drive around North or South Island, and there are experiences available that offer specific stops along your way complete with guided excursions. Of course the kicker here is you have to drive yourself, but if you enjoy a little more control, this might be the perfect way to explore the areas.
Two of the self-guided tours by car available include:
- Northern Island Discovery – 8 days from Christchurch to Queenstown and Back.
- South Island Highlights – 13 days from Christchurch to Te Anau and Back.
- Classic New Zealand Wine Trail – 9 days of visiting the vineyards and orchards of places like Hawke’s Bay and Marlborough.
Want to learn more about experiencing New Zealand by rail or by car? Call Ingenious Travel at 888.695.0321 today, and we’ll help you plan the perfect getaway for your needs!