I finally saw The Avengers over the weekend…talk about a fast-paced, action packed movie! (Definitely a 2-thumbs up movie, especially if you’re a sci-fi/comic geek like me.) While talking with friends about the movie, I started thinking about various movies where New York has City has been pretty much destroyed.
The top-five movies that come to mind are:
- Ghostbusters (1984) – can’t help but love the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man and his destructive gooiness
- Armageddon (1998) – interesting theory since the news reports asteroids are always heading for Earth
- The Day After Tomorrow (2004) – here climate change is the culprit
- Independence Day (1996) – aliens abound and are trying to take us over
- Deep Impact (1998) – a mega-tsunami hits the East Coast after a comet hits Earth
After visiting New York City last summer, I began to wonder what New York City would be like missing all those iconic landmarks. We’ve seen the aftermath of 9-11, but can you imagine what the landscape would look like if it were missing the Chrysler Building, Grand Central Station, Central Park, the Statue of Liberty, etc.?
When was your last visit to NYC? Be sure to visit before some other “alien force” comes to visit us and again destroys the “city that never sleeps.” Let Ingenious Travel plan your New York adventure before it’s too late!
What is your favorite “destroy” New York City movie?
You know, I’ve NEVER BEEN TO NYC and I feel SOO GUILTY about it! My MOTHER even beat me there and she braggs about it every chance she gets…lol
You are so over due! Do you have your Summer vacation planned yet?
I love New York, and 9/11 was just too scary.
My first and only visit to New York was SO LONG ago, I’d love to re-visit. I don’t like “destroy movies” full stop, so I can’t answer that one, sorry!
My favourite was a very early morning walk through Manhattan with a friend, just to catch the atmosphere.
New York does have a particular atmosphere. And you experienced it at a perfect time as early morning is the most peaceful.
I would have to say Ghost-busters out of those you have listed. I don’t watch many movies anymore though.
That’s definitely a cult classic. Could you imagine what it would be like to see the giant marshmallow man traipsing through the city?
One of my top destinations to visit some time for sure!
It’s quite an amazing city! There’s so much to see it can’t be done in one visit, you’ll have to make more than one visit.
Sad to say, I’ve never visited NYC other than stopping at JFK airport, which doesn’t really count. It’s certainly high on my list of places to visit. I can’t imagine NY without the Chrysler or Empire State buildings!
I like your questions about favorite destroy New York movies! Here are a few that I like:
1) Escape From New York – Manhattan has become a gigantic high-security prison
2) The Warriors – the city is not quite destroyed, but completely infested by warring gangs
2) Planet of the Apes – NY (and the USA) is TOTALLY destroyed except for the upper torso of the Statue of LIberty! “You maniacs! You blew it up!”
New York City is a place all people should visit, at least once, as it’s quite unique.